Monday, February 12, 2007

Confirmation

Last night, NCC had its quarterly Marriage Matters dinner for couples and the couple that MC'd the event was Tony and Valerie Snesko. Valerie works for Congressman Duncan Hunter, as his scheduler/office manager and they have known Duncan for nearly thirty years. When I left the Navy, she was going to help me get a job on the Hill, and possibly get me onto the Armed Services Committee staff, where Cong Hunter was Chairman. Valerie made several calls to the staff director for the committee, but they couldn't find anywhere for me. So when I actually left the Navy, I decided to take a job as a contractor, because for some strange reason, I couldn't get any offers to work in politics.

Before last night's Marriage Matters, Valerie pulled me aside and told me she was so happy that I didn't get a job when I was looking and that it was a good thing after all. She said, that she couldn't understand why the jobs weren't there. As a Hunter's scheduler, a call from her to the director of the staff would normally have produced any available position, but she couldn't seem to get any openings for me and it made no sense to her. Now, after the election when the GOP has now been returned to the Minority, all the people who had been hired into the committee in the past year were let go (fired), meaning, I would have just been hired, but was then fired a short time later. She was happy that I didn't take the job and then have to turn around immediately and look for another. She told me that it really must be God working, cause any other time, she would have been able to get me a job.

She was such a wonderful help while I was looking for work, providing support, prayer, and contacts, and I could tell that she really wanted to find me a job. Along with her realization that God was leading me (maybe temporarily) away from the Hill, I told her how I was praying during and about the job search and seemed to have a question from God. It seemed he was asking me, "How do you know that there will even be a majority to work for after November?" While I didn't like the (God's) insinuation, I kept (foolishly) looking for a job on the Hill and yet found nothing, no matter how qualified I was, or how much it was a perfect fit for me and the office. The Basic lesson is this: God is taking care of me, inspite of my desires, and now I have a great job where I work for a great guy and I get paid well. God is taking care of my family's needs even when I have asked for my own selfish desires.

I should never doubt His ability to take care of us and the fact that He has a plan for us all.

1 comment:

Grace said...

Amen Honey!! You should always listen to God & your wife! We are on the same wave length:)